On September 13, 1989, the Union Pacific System donated its historic Evanston Depot to the City of Evanston. The Depot, constructed in 1900 and renovated in the late 1980’s, is considered one of the most significant buildings in the downtown Evanston Historical District. The ornate depot building is noted for its roof intersected with gables on either end. Other notable features include 2 brick towers with conical roofs. Today the building is used as a community center for public meetings and events such as weddings and receptions.