A significant immigrant Chinese population was recruited by the Union Pacific Railroad for laborers and repairmen on the railroad, They were also recruited to be miners in the Almy coal mines to provide fuel for the locomotives and for home heating.
|The Joss House
The Chinese presence in Evanston only lasted through the 1920s, but as a tribute to their contributions to the city’s history, a group of citizens erected a replica of the Joss House (Chinese Sacred Temple) in the Depot Square area.
The original Joss House, built in Evanston’s Chinatown, was completed in 1894 and destroyed by fire in 1922.
This project was part of the Wyoming Centennial Celebration in 1990.
|Chinese Gazebo & Garden
In 2007, a descendant of one of the Chinese families, Mr. Wayman Wing, funded another citizen group to construct a Chinese Gazebo and Garden. This project, still in progress, is located just east of Depot Square behind the Joss House.