OverviewSanitation employees provide important services to Evanston. We encourage communication between city crews and the public. If you notice something that Sanitation employees can do to make Evanston a better place to live, please tell us.
City ordinance requires that all residential units be serviced by the city. city ordinance does allow private refuse collections for commercial and industrial units. Sanitation employees primary responsibilities are:
- Picking up community refuse
- Transporting refuse to the Uinta County landfill
- Operating the large collection trucks
- Delivering and maintaining refuse containers
Refuse Collection TipsEvanston's automated collection system is a cost effective and efficient way to collect refuse. Tips for making the process work smoothly include:
- Keeping access to containers clear
- Placing all refuse in the container
- Bagging refuse before placing it in the containers
- Working together we can keep our neighborhoods looking clean and beautiful
Holiday Sanitation Collection ScheduleIf a city observed holiday falls on your regularly scheduled pick up day, the Public Works Department asks that you please put your container out the evening before so it can be collected in the very early morning hours (approximately 6 a.m.) of the next day.
If the holiday falls on a Saturday, the holiday will be observed the preceding Friday and trash will be collected early on the following Monday. If the holiday falls on a Sunday, it will be observed on Monday and your trash will be collected very early on Tuesday.
HolidaysBelow is a list of the City of Evanston observed holidays:
- New Year's Day
- President's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day, July 4th
- Labor Day
- Columbus Day
- Veteran's Day, November 11th
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day